Friday, July 25, 2008

The Road Less Traveled


The Kokopelli Trail stretches across the desert from Grand Junction, Colorado to Moab, Utah. It's 142 miles of spectacular wilderness. In the three day trip, our small group of 6 trucks didn't encounter another human being. In our world, solitude can be difficult to find but once discovered and recalled, it has a delicious character all its own.

Sometimes solitude can be shared. In the absence of outside influences, the company you keep provides a more profound level of interaction than it does in the distracting world of cell phone,  advertisement and modern detritus.

Our modern world is somewhat of a Potemkin Village since the facade of safe and ordered society is alien to the nature of man, who lived under the stars much longer than in the city's light pollution that obscures the lights that guard the night. At night I lay on a rock overhang at the Top-Of-The-World. On one side of me was a 2000 foot drop. Above me were stars that I felt I could reach out and touch. The wind that blew along the summit was cool and refreshing even though the desert had been hot that day. I was curiously alive. I hadn't felt alive in that way for a very long time.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin