Thursday, October 17, 2013

Sisyphus Revisited

Some days I feel like Sisyphus - being compelled to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, and to repeat this action forever. The problem with aging is that to some extent, the rose-colored glasses are off and you understand that it's the human condition. 


After the first of the year I'll be commuting through Los Angeles traffic to a job of my own making - to a company that I own in part. I haven't commuted for nearly seven years now, having earned my daily bread in a more bohemian lifestyle. But it's back to the blue suit, white shirt and power tie. Part of me dreads it. Being the boss is nice, but it's not as nice as everyone cracks it up to be. There's something to be said for joy of being an anonymous drone. Alpha males can't manage the slavish mindless drone thing very easily, but that sort of thing does have its own joys. 

The weird part of all this is that I don't really have to do it. I could simply sit on a beach for the rest of my life on an island somewhere and beach comb, gazing up at jet contrails instead of sitting on the jet eating plastic food (back to Sisyphus). I have the means to be that beach bum and live on my life's laurels and money. 

Albert Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.


6 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Yeah, but what a work-out!

LL said...

I'm a lean, mean fighting machine...in addition to being a super genius and sexual tyrannosaurus.

darlin said...

LL ... love your response to Opus! ;-)

I say good for you, sometimes we just do what we want to do, not what we have to do, just cause we still can. I can totally relate here, Masters degree... ya what was I thinking? On that happy joyous note back to writing I shall go.

Have yourself a wonderful weekend!

LL said...

I agree, Darlin', but sometimes I think that I'm in a pie eating contest where the more pie that I eat, the more they give me to eat.

Race Bannon said...

...if you could just put on a loin cloth or something while pushing the stone. A commute never bothered me, I learned Spanish (on tape) that way. I was always early to work, to miss the traffic. Now that I live 2 miles from the office, I'm late all the time...and I will never commute again.

LL said...

I said that I'd never commute again. Famous last words.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin