Monday, February 1, 2010

The Process of Publishing

Taking a novel from concept to print is really a difficult process for a writer. (keep in mind that an "author" is a writer with a friend in the publishing business -- by definition) A writer with no influential friends, remains a writer.  And occasionally writers find other struggling writers and when their lives touch, it's almost an epiphany.

Last week I was called to jury duty and spent a wasted day in the lunchroom of the Riverside Courthouse waiting for a call that would never come. There were a host of other citizens serving that duty, grist for the machine. As it happened, I sat next to another man, maybe a few years older than me, who also wrote. He asked me what I was reading. I told him I was going over a proof copy of my book, making final corrections before it went to press. And one thing led to another.

Misery loves company. Writing a novel is not a process of collaboration. It is one soul's adventure of introspection in a process of creation of a work, entirely unique, which reflects one view you may have of the world. Writers who become authors (they find an angle on the publishing business) understand that the world is fickle and to find love and appreciation in the hands of the Great Unwashed, you must pander to the mob in your writing efforts. Mass market, means MASS MARKET. A book that appeals to the masses.

When you read WHITE POWDER, you'll find the necessary sex and violence -- and maybe you'll like the story too. It does build to a conclusion so don't skip ahead. And for writers who may read this blog, you are not alone in your individual quest for creative recognition.

1 comment:

darlin said...

I am looking forward to reading your book LL, it does sound very intriguing. The sex and the violence are an added bonus and yes I agree, any book must appeal to the masses which is very hard to do. "You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all the time" comes to mind.

Please let me know as soon as it comes out and where I will be able to purchase your book.

Happy trails!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin