Sunday, September 21, 2014

The City of God

Yes, this is a new feature. I'm posting Sunday Sermonettes on both of my blogs. Both Lone Star Parson and Pretty Jenny suggested that I become more holy and a bit less worldly. That sent me to St. Augustine, who wrote "give me chastity and continence, but do not give it yet." 




To quote Billy Joel, 'I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The Sinners are much more fun.' Which is why I hang out with the people on the blogs... While I do spend my share of time studying the cannon of works, there are few traditional saints who appeal to me. St. Augustine is one of the stand-outs who I find far more interesting (see quote above).  Thus, it's the grist of a Sunday Sermonette, which few will read, but I don't care.

Augustine taught that "peacefulness in the face of a grave wrong that could only be stopped by violence would be a sin." Defense of one's self or others is a necessity, especially when authorized by a legitimate authority. In his work The City of God, he suggests that the pursuit of peace must include the option of fighting to preserve it in the long-term.


That's it. Those are the only words of wisdom I offer today besides the advice on how best to conduct 'walk about' on Virtual Mirage.


6 comments:

WoFat said...

That's it? That's all? There ain't no more?

LL said...

That's all that I have to say on the subject.

Adrienne said...

It's a start...

jenny said...

Preach it! (though for the record, I have not harangued you for being worldly! That said, I do heartily endorse the campaign for you to become a vicar.)

St. Augustine lived to be 75 years old-- no small achievement at that time. As Billy Joel would say, "only the good die young."
I happen to like St. Augustine, too, but that probably won't surprise you.

LL said...

I don't think that being a vicar is in the cards. I really don't like telling people what to do or how to live their lives. I'm more of a live-and-let-live type.

Brig said...

From a "live-and-let-live" kinda guy this Sunny Sermonette was very enlightening. I like St Auggie.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin