Sunday, August 31, 2008

Tommy?

The economy has been rough on my consulting business - the Olympics has been rougher still, and while work does continue to roll slowly in (as recently as last week), I thought I'd look around at other options and opportunities.

I found several responses remarkable. While not specifically stated, the portion of my resume (deliberately understated) that dealt with military service was viewed with a negative eye. One large corporate recruiter all but told me that it smacked of a potential for violence. I (quoting Forrest Gump loosely) said that violence is as violence does. They didn't want that potential in an employee. I did not suggest that they seek employees in 
the ranks of eunuchs but I'm convinced they'd be happier with that class of man. Truth be told,  I wouldn't be happy working with or for people like that.

All in all, I found it sobering.

And Kiplings words rolled in. I won't quote TOMMY in its entirety here, but it bears reading.

While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin