Sunday, March 17, 2013

Irish War Tunes and St. Paddy's Day Toasts

Happy St. Patrick's Day - 2013 

(The Year of the Shamrock -- but yes, in Ireland, it's always the Year of the Shamrock)

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction.

May you get to heaven a half hour before the devil knows that you're dead.

May your neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, the angels protect you, and heaven accept you.

While you're swilling green beer and eating corned beef and cabbage, you can watch some of these YouTube videos - if your vision is not blurred.

I personally feel as if the war tunes are a lot more interesting than the tear-jerkers such as "Oh Danny Boy". But once past all that, many will argue that if it wasn't for whiskey, the Irish would rule the world. And what's more, the Irish usually agree.



He who loses money, loses much; He who loses a friend, loses more; He who loses faith, loses all.



May the Lord keep you in His hand and never close His fist too tight.


May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty. And our ale never turn musty.



May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rain fall soft upon your fields, and until we meet again...May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

6 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Many Americans have Irish blood. Many more on St. Patrick's Day.

WoFat said...

Several generations away from the old country. Or might it be countries, being a mix of Irish, English and who knows what else - but me grandmother was a McCarty.

LL said...

My Mother's paternal family were Quigley, her maternal family were Bryan. No Irish here.

Az said...

We have Irish blood too - my great great Grandfather was from Ireland. Hope your day was wonderfully green ;)

LL said...

I'm not a drinker...so I didn't turn green. HOWEVER, I had a good time at a party.

darlin said...

I love the first video, it was nicely put together. I'm still listening to the other ones. I love some of the old Irish sayings, there's a couple here I haven't heard before, I think that I'll borrow them if you don't mind and add them to my quotes collection.

LL, were your Irish eyes a shinin' at this party? Glad to hear you had a good time.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin