Sunday, February 6, 2011

Game Day

At 3:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time, the only football game that really matters all year will be played. The reason that it matters is that if you're not first, you're last.

As the head of the house, I decreed by fiat that the Steelers would be the team everyone would cheer for as the Steel Curtain grinds the Pack under it's relentless attack. However I have tried to raise my children correctly, I have failed.

Emilie bought a Green Bay Packers jersey in support of her team. Which goes to prove that the apple does fall a LONG way from the tree from time to time. My oldest daughter, Amanda, is also a Packer's fan. Heather (25) backs the Steelers because she's a very smart girl. My grandson, Griffin, will be here clapping and cheering at every Steeler touchdown, field goal and conversion.

As to the decor, Emilie is standing in a corner of the living room (common rooms include a living room, parlor and family room). I do the decorating and you can see a framed piece of air-drop counterfeit Vietnamese currency, and the bust of Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky, given to me by an old friend. My house does resemble a museum in small part because all of the pieces have a story behind them. Everything from the French Foreign Legion kepi to my Naval Officer's sword and the bottles of wine from the French Foreign Legion vineyard to the statue of Kwan Gong and my Hong Kong Police billy club.



In the same way, I follow the Pittsburg Steelers because they alone DESERVE the title of Superbowl Champions.


**********HALF TIME**********
UPDATE
The Steelers are down 10 to 21, but there is still hope.


Griffin is watching the game, concentrating as hard as his Grandfather is. (Taken from his mother's cell phone)

Don't be bitter, Race, because the Cowboys didn't make it to the Superbowl...
Opus, I have never opposed cheerleaders at a football game.
Innominatus -- The Steelers still have a chance to pull it out, but it will require some effort.
WoFat -- He's grandpa's little guy.

NOW, BACK TO THE GAME!

9 comments:

innominatus said...

I must say, sir, that you have excellent taste in football.

Race Bannon said...

America has a team. The Steelers and Packers can come and play in the stadium, then they have to go...

Opus #6 said...

I think there should be cheerleaders. My daughter used to be on a cheer squad and it's a legitimate sport now. Plus they balance out the hyper-testosterone of the event.

WoFat said...

You have a lovely football fan in your house.

Football. Ha!

LL said...

THE AGONY OF DEFEAT!

The Steelers lost - but put up a valiant effort.

darlin said...

The photo of Griffith copying Grandpa is priceless!

I LOVE your lamp, where did that one come from? And you have excellent taste in decor I must say.

Your daughters jersey is the same colors our Edmonton Eskimo's use and before you say anything about the Eskies or our football, I'm ONLY commenting on the colors. That should be a safe zone. ;-)

LL said...

Darlin - I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool football fan. And in truth when it came to the Steelers and Packers, I picked my favorite team. You won't find a wall of football stuff in my home or anything.

The elephant lamp came from a boutique in Newport Beach, California.

I didn't know that my daughter was taking the picture with her cell phone. Griffin and I were focused on the big game.

darlin said...

I'm glad that you didn't know that your daughter was taking the photo, it's a natural, in your element shot. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in this instance and the photo is so adorable. It appears that Griffin idolizes grandpa and this is so sweet.

Just a conservative girl said...

Sorry about your steelers.

I personally find it to be Karma. The quarterback is a horrid human being and doesn't deserve to win a ring.

But that is just my opinion.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin