Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Children

My grandson, Griffin (6 months)

George Bernard Shaw once wrote, "Children begin by loving their parents, then they judge them, but rarely if ever do they forgive them." (A Woman of no Consequence)

What do YOU think?

The problem with parenting is that there are no dress rehearsals. Every day you are at the cutting edge of raising a child/children with everything that accompanies that process. Now that I am a grandfather, there is yet another generation for whom I am particularly concerned. Both my daughters are good and caring mothers, but it doesn't mean I don't fret slightly over my grandchildren in the same way I do for my children.

8 comments:

Red said...

It;s true. We love our parents and find fault with them but as far as forgiveness goes? I think forgiveness happens more often than not. Realizing that your parents are not demi-gods is the first step.

Anonymous said...

The longer I'm a parent the easier it is to not only forgive my parents for perceived transgressions but love them all the more for the sacrifices they have made in their lives. In addition to recognize they did the best with what they had to work with...

WoFat said...

Super cute kid. A good start.

Opus #6 said...

When I first saw that picture, I wondered where you found that model-baby on the internet. He is extra cute!

I don't think we ever stop worrying about our kids.

LL said...

Opus #6, he takes after his maternal grandfather.

Red said...

I'm afraid of having kids and proving my mother right!

LL said...

Imagine an army of "red" clones moving out to conquer the planet - then the Solar System... and beyond.

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

I think that we forgive our parents all the time for "perceived slights", we just never forget how they've "wronged" us. I love to throw in all the "bad stuff" whenever my mom and I have a fight (and yes I know I'm playing dirty).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin