Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Obama not popular in Poland


H/T to Bugs in Beds (UK) (CLICK HERE)




The Polish Foreign Affairs Minister, Radoslaw Sikorski was quoted in the newspaper Dziennik as asking the question, "Why does Barack Obama have Polish roots?" "Because his grandfather ate a Polish missionary."


While Polish jokes have long been popular in America, it seems Obama jokes are now all the rage in Poland. Maybe more so since President Obama canceled the defensive missiles that the US pledged to deploy there as a hedge against rogue Islamic states such as Iran.

This is the first Obama joke I've heard and while I personally think it's funny in a Polish context, I couldn't say that it's funny in America where we are in a post racial era with a man of mixed race (1/2 white) leading our country. Racial puns are no longer funny here... unless it's Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle telling the stories. Then they're really funny.

7 comments:

Opus #6 said...

That video is funny.

Becky said...

Don't get me started. Dave Chappelle and especially Chris Rock are soooo racist and its totally okay, but its not okay when a white person does it... I'd have to disagree, I say its not funny when anyone makes racial jokes. Its either this way or that way, can't have both. Not to say that I didn't watch the Dave Chappelle show and laugh, I am just saying its completely unfair.

LL said...

There are stereotypes that apply to groups of people. We laugh because it's funny - even when it applies to ourselves. They don't necessarily mean that there is any sort of hatred involved. There are plenty of stereotype jokes that are not racial at all, they're occupational (doctor jokes and police jokes come to mind). Blonde jokes and redneck jokes seem to be fine because they deal with white people. Everyone finds them politically correct. They are funny even if not all dumbs are blonde.

By the way, I don't hate blondes even though I just told a blonde joke...

Stephanie Faris said...

I have a feeling he's not popular in MOST non-U.S. countries. It's debatable whether he's even popular here! Give it a couple of years with this health plan and economy and he may become another George W.

Xmichra said...

just like in the encyclopedia... lmao...

LL said...

Airing stereotypes is a useful thing. Holding them in is not.

darlin said...

I personally think that the video is hilarious. Eddie Murphy also always gets laughs out of me, does this make me racist? Nope, not at all. I am not racist in the least, I hate everyone equally! No stereotyping going on here.

I am kidding... joke, no need to get all riled up!

And a good morning to you LL, thank you for the early morning laugh! Hope you have a great day!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin